Clinical Externships

What is a Clinical Externship?

A Clinical Externship is an opportunity to learn and apply clinical skills. You will provide clinical service to clients with communication & swallowing disorders while under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist. As you progress in the externships, you will gradually assume greater responsibility for clients. Our program provides you with a broad clinical experience to gain an understanding of all aspects of speech-language pathology.

How many Clinical Externships will I complete?

During the program you will complete four major externships in speech-language pathology and a minor externship in audiology (total: 126 days). You will alternate academic & clinical courses/labs with clinical externships. For details about timing of externships see externship schedules.

Where will my externships take place?

Our program provides you with the unique opportunity to work under supervision in a variety of external clinics in Canada. Through these externships, you’ll gain experience working with clients of all ages, be exposed to SLPs doing work in real clinics, and learn about both urban and rural practice.

You will have some clinical externships in the metro Vancouver area and surrounding suburbs. Remember that metro Vancouver is a large area that may require commutes of 60-90 minutes by transit. Access to a car is helpful and can give you increased access to a wider range of clinical experiences.

At least 2 of your externship placements will be outside of the metro Vancouver area. Participating sites include major BC cities, rural sites in BC, some sites in other Western Canadian provinces, as well as limited opportunities in Eastern Canada. These will require temporary relocation and you are responsible for the costs of relocation, housing, living expenses and local transportation when you are there. Plan for these additional expenses as part of your program.

Will I meet the requirements for SAC certification?

You will meet the requirements for the required supervised hours for certification with SAC and registration with the College of Speech & Hearing Health Professions of BC. For details regarding other provinces please refer to their specific websites.

What if I have more questions about externships?

If you are accepted to the graduate program you will have an orientation and an opportunity to ask specific questions. At the orientation you are given detailed information about clinical externships, immunizations and criminal records checks, which will be arranged through UBC.