Yes. Our graduate programs require full-time enrolment at UBC for two years. With the exception of the time spent in clinical placements, all instruction during this period takes place at the UBC campus.

No. SASS graduate programs do not offer distance education or online courses.

No. The maximum requirement is three references (2 academic and 1 clinical).

We enroll 48 students (12 in Audiology and 36 in Speech-Language Pathology).

The M.Sc. program is very competitive. Each year we receive between 150-200 applications for 48 spaces.

The academic record of students who are admitted is always very strong. Successful program applicants generally have a GPA of at least 82%.

Unfortunately we do not have admission advisors, and so we try to provide as much information as possible for you on our website.  You can check SLP or Audiology Prerequisites to make sure that your undergraduate coursework satisfies the minimum prerequisites for our program.
If after reviewing our website you still have questions, and you are currently a UBC student, or planning to attend UBC, you can contact the Undergraduate Advisors for the Department of Linguistics: Wendy Trigg (Wendy.Trigg@ubc.ca) or Hotze Rullmann (Hotze.Rullmann@ubc.ca). Please note: These advisors will only answer questions from current or prospective UBC students. For all other inquiries please send a detailed request to inquiry@audiospeech.ubc.ca

Residency is a factor in the admissions process for our M.Sc. programs, as we normally allocate the majority of the seats in each program to residents of BC, Yukon, Northwest Territories, or Nunavut. We find that this allocation still provide a lot of opportunity to consider other applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who meet our admission criteria. These factors are not relevant for students applying to our doctoral program.

If you meet the admission criteria, your application will be considered. Students that are admitted have earned excellent grades (at least 80-85%), completed prerequisite courses, have strong letters of reference, and can articulate their personal and professional goals in their letter of intent. Although it is not required, an increasing number of applicants also bring volunteer or work experience in clinics and research labs.

We accept applications from international students for our doctoral program only. See Tuition and Fees; Application Deadlines; and other information specific to international students.

The School does not offer teaching assistantships, though individual faculty members do offer a number of research positions which vary from year to year.

Demonstrating that you will complete all the prerequisites prior to entry in September (i.e., you may be currently registered for some prerequisites or planning to take some over the summer) will considerably enhance your chances of being offered admission to the M.Sc. program.  Applicants should also note that if admission is offered on the basis of coursework not yet completed, such offers may be made contingent on completion of these courses. If so, these conditions are strictly observed.

Yes, in exceptional cases, such as the following:
The Admissions Committee may invite students of exceptional merit who are missing prerequisites into an extended M.Sc. program.  Only a few students each year qualify for such an offer. No special application materials are required.

You can enroll at UBC (or your own university) as an unclassified student and to take the needed prerequisite course. To enroll as an unclassified student contact UBC Undergraduate Enrolment Services. To determine which prerequisite courses you need to take check SLP Prerequisites or Audiology Prerequisites.
If you are a UBC student, you can receive help concerning prerequisite course preparation by contacting the Undergraduate Advisors in Linguistics, Wendy Trigg (Wendy.Trigg@ubc.ca) or Hotze Rullmann (Hotze.Rullmann@ubc.ca).

Admission to the M.Sc. program is competitive and takes into consideration the overall program of study. Every year, students from a wide variety of backgrounds apply and are admitted. If you meet the admission criteria, have an outstanding academic record and the prerequisite coursework, your application will be considered.

If possible, you should avoid off-campus employment in order to complete your degree in a timely manner.  We advise you to make appropriate financial arrangements prior to beginning your first year. See Awards and Financial Support.

Yes, in some cases.  Some universities, such as Athabasca and Thompson Rivers specialize in online courses, but most other universities offer distance education courses.  It is advisable to take as many prerequisite courses as possible in a University classroom setting.  Reference letters from academic professors who taught you in the last two years are critical to your application.  Most instructors for online courses will not write reference letters, and some are not academic professors.
See the sections on prerequisite coursework for the detailed procedure on how to determine if any online courses would be equivalent to the prerequisites.

No, the School does not require an honours degree. However, honours degrees are preferred. Minimum requirements are: a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited university in any department/discipline, and completion of the required prerequisites for either the M.Sc. in Speech-Language Pathology or in Audiology.

No, the School does not require the GRE.

The professions of speech-language pathology and audiology are closely related in that both address different aspects of human communication. In the course of your master’s program, you will be taking coursework and gaining clinical experience in one profession as your major area of study and in the other profession as your minor area of study. We have found that it is helpful for students coming into our program to have already met and/or observed individuals from both professions.

We welcome applicants from across Canada. However, residency is a factor in the admissions process, as we normally allocate the majority of the seats in each program to residents of BC, Yukon, Northwest Territories, or Nunavut. We find that this allocation still provides a lot of opportunity to consider other applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents and who meet our admission criteria. If you are one of these, we encourage you to apply.