1. Apply for Graduation
Refer to https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/graduation/applying-graduate to apply on-line for graduation on the Student Service Centre (SSC).
2. Thesis Preparation and Submission
Refer to Graduate Studies for thesis preparation, submission, and guidelines at http://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/final-dissertation-thesis-submission further details will be provided by the School. See also Appendix “A” in this binder for SASS MSc Thesis Research Process.
3. Clinical File
You are responsible for ensuring that your clinical file is complete. Please ask the Clinical Program Assistant, Room 443 or one of the Clinical Coordinators for access to your clinical file. You must ensure that your clinical hours sheets are filled out, signed by your supervisors, and in your clinical file. You are expected to check your clinical file to determine that all clinical hours’ forms are there. You are also responsible for compiling your hours and sending the final form to SAC. The form, including instructions, will be emailed to you by the Clinical Program Assistant toward the end of your second year. This form must be signed by your clinical supervisor as part of your graduating requirements.
4. School Check-out
The Graduate Student Coordinator will distribute a “Settlement of Student Accounts” form to you in your final year. This sheet is a reminder to take care of administrative/housekeeping items before you leave the School. Please meet with the Graduate Student Coordinator or the Clinical Program Assistant to verify that:
• Any building/lab keys have been returned to Parking and Access Control for your $20.00 refund.
• All books and test materials have been returned to the Reading Room and other UBC libraries.
• All photocopy and printing accounts have been settled.
• The lock on your third floor locker has been removed and locker has been wiped clean.
• Your School mail box in Room 322 has been emptied.
• You have provided a forwarding postal and email address (other than your alumni account).
5. Degree Completion and BC College Registration
The process for submitting program completion letters to the BC College is as follows:
1. For those students who passed the comprehensive exam, a final graduating requirement completion form will be signed by the Graduate Advisor. After all the student’s grades are posted, and the student has completed the “School Check-out” items listed in #4 above, this form will be emailed to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS). Once G+PS receives it, they go over the student’s account to ensure all fees are paid and grades posted. They will then close out the student’s account, and the student can download his/her completion letter from the Dean.
2. For those students who complete a thesis, essay, or project, their supervisor must sign off on the successful completion of the research and inform the Graduate Student Coordinator, who will then post the “P” to their transcript. When this happens, G+PS will go over the student’s account to ensure all fees are paid and grades posted. They will then close out the student’s account, and the student can download his/her completion letter from the Dean.
3. Once the student downloads the G+PS completion letter, he/she must send it as an email attachment to the School’s Graduate Student Coordinator and it will then be emailed to the College. The College will not accept the letter if received directly from the student.
4. Students who have paid more than the minimum installments for the degree will have their tuition fees prorated to the end of the month in which G+PS confirms that all degree requirements have been completed. This includes submission of either their major paper or final project to the School, or their thesis to G+PS office at #170 – 6371 Crescent Road.
Please note that the School will not be providing students with any other “letters of completion” since it is the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies that is responsible for authorizing SASS MSc degree completion status.